Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Fall Break project




We have noticed that the retaining wall holding up part of our driveway has been sagging and the driveway has been cracking apart slowly. My original intent this weekend was to pull the wall back into place. The reality was that the wall came completely down, four extra beams were added underground, and the wall was rebuilt. One of my neighbors loaned me all sorts of goodies like a 6-foot pry bar, a pole driver, and lots of advice. He advised me that my 6-foot vertical poles were too weak (unfortunately I had driven 2 of them already) and he would find some stronger ones. I drove 2 more to help ensure the wall would hold up for a while (the last thing I want to see is the wall collapse and take the carport with it -though I think that is a remote possibility). There are multiple retired people on my street, and sometimes they hover. At one point today 3 of them are watching and gabbing while I'm trying to spike together 6x6s!

Anyway, Kris had class the last couple of days, and Karen subbed successfully for 7th graders during that time. Leaf colors are slowly changing, weather is cooling, and someone was burning leaves on our street today. I guess fall is here.

No comments: