Sunday, April 26, 2009

Arthropod Adventures









Unseasonably warm weather the last few days, with highs in the low 80's. All sorts of flowers are opening up all over. The second picture is of Kris singing "There's a Place for Us" from West Side Story at her last voice lesson on Friday. On Saturday I spent most of the day proctoring a national screening exam to try to qualify a couple students for the international Chemistry Olympiad. That evening I mowed our lawn for the first time and noticed 2 things: 1) there are lot of dandelions in our yard, and 2) there is a lot of moss in the yard (maybe because we have had such a cool, wet spring?) This morning after Sunday school I was fossil hunting along a local creek bed, and a crayfish walked up and tried to crawl under my boot. I was standing still; it must have thought I was a rock! When got home I was breaking up a rock looking for marine fossils like criniods and I found my first trilobite! (A crab-like creature...actually this is only the tail, so I guess it is really a trilo-butt.) I've been looking for one for 3 decades, and it has been a thorn in my side not to find the state fossil of Wisconsin! There was a chemistry department picnic this afternoon, but in addition to that we tilled the garden and got some planting done (and now I am stiff). Last full week of classes this coming week!

No comments: