Saturday, April 9, 2011

A Little Bit of Amish Country


Thunderstorm rolled in about the time I got up at 6 am. It stuck around for a couple hours and actually knocked out my hotel power for a few seconds. I was quite wet by the time I got to the EIU campus. The meetings, like yesterday's, were pretty uneventful. On the way home I stopped by Rockome Garden - it was closed, but from what I could gather it is sort of meant to celebrate/capitalize on Amish heritage and it has some sort of features of rocks cemented into sculptures (some are in the picture under the trees). I have the feeling that I'm about 20-30 years younger than the typical visitors :*) Driving through a small bit of Amish territory was fun - the best sight was one I could not shoot with a camera: a man in full Amish attire (straw hat, beard, etc.) on a (mountain?) bike pulls into a driveway past a trampoline with about five young boys and girls bouncing around in full Amish attire (boys in trousers, dress shirts, and straw hats and girls in long dresses and white bonnets). I told Karen that I felt a little culture shock like I was in China. The rest of the ride home was pretty uneventful. Weather is warming again. Tonight the family visited the nearby woods and got some frog eggs and even caught a couple chorus frogs. We were going to keep them overnight inside but they got quite loud - so now they are doing their singing on the screen porch.

No comments: