Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Candle Chemistry and Odds and Ends

On the bus this morning I finished reading a copy of Michael Faraday's "The Chemical History of a Candle" based on his famous lecture series over 150 years ago. What an amazing lecturer he was! I had not realized how far back some classic science demos go. My favorite quote:  "We young ones have the perfect right to take toys and make them into philosophy, inasmuch as now-a-days we are turning philosophy into toys." (He was using a suction cup toy to demonstrate air pressure.)

We got 0.03 inches of rain yesterday evening, bringing the the monthly total to 0.04 inches. At least it has not yet broken 100 F this year. By contrast, I just saw on the news the radar images of the hailstorms up near Dallas  - I have never seen black and gray before. We are still packing.  Katie health is doing much better and she is back at swim lessons.

No comments: