Sunday, June 21, 2015

Father's Day and Summer Solstice at Matthiessen State Park

The Illinois River is still rising.  I have been chopping away at one of the wood piles produced by cutting down the walnut tree in our backyard last fall and I am thankful to report that the wood in the pile has been split and/or redistributed to other piles. Yesterday, we retrieved Kris from choral camp at Eureka College - she enjoyed it and her concert went well. Today, the family went to Matthiessen State Park, one of my very favorite places in Illinois.  The recent rains, including last night's thunderstorms, have closed the trails along much of the bottom of the dells, and it looks like the Vermillion River has flooded into the lower dells.  However, we found a safe trail area and got to visit some of the many waterfalls in the park.  I am glad my family went in and mucked around and enjoyed the beauty with me. I really like the last picture in this series.






No comments: