Saturday, July 11, 2015

Black Hills Trip - Days 3 and 4

Saturday into Sunday we stayed at smoking room in a Motel 6 with a greenish swimming pool in Rapid City - not our favorite hotel ever.  After Mass, we visited:
- Dinosaur Park - fun to see the old statues.  There is a visitors center there now but we did not have time to see it.
- Wind Cave National Park - every cave has its own personality, and this breathing cave is known for its "boxwork" (calcite veins that had formed in a latticework pattern and then left freestanding as the matrix rock dissolved away).  We saw bison and prairie dogs in the park, but I could not get a good picture of them.
The skies opened up with a deluge not long after we left the cave, and Karen drove from the park back to Murdo, SD.  On Monday, we headed back to Peoria. We passed through a few rainstorms, and I am convinced I saw a cloud sporting a small horizontal twisted horn-like structure (what that means I do not know).  The highlight of the return for me was a stop at the falls in Sioux Falls, SD.  A pretty spot, and I thought it was interesting when the wind whipped the foam at the base of the falls into foam ball devils.  We returned the rental car to the airport in Peoria with about 2 hours to spare. The trip was about 2000 miles; if we had more time and cash we might have gone further and done more, but I am very thankful for the opportunity to do this trip. I have been to the Black Hills now in 1982 (summer after 7th grade), 1993 (honeymoon), 2004 (trip to Seattle for a sabbatical), and now 2015.  Looks like I need to set aside 2026 to maintain the 11-year intervals!










No comments: