Friday, July 30, 2010

Off to Tulsa









As the last post indicated this week was vacation bible school (VBS) at St. Anthony's. We were quite busy all week, but it was a good experience. I hope the kids were blessed through the experience. On Monday we found out that Katie needs to be on a soft food diet another couple weeks as not all of her stitches have come out. Our sunflowers are doing their typical late July blossoming.

On Tuesday, Karen noted that van's front passenger window appeared to be stuck. After she went to bed that night I dismantled the car door to see if there was something I could fix. I could not, so I called up our friend/mechanic to look at it on Wednesday. He discovered the stuck window was simply locked out of moving by a child safety button. Boy was I embarrassed by not thinking of that and just taking the door apart! He got the door back together for me.

Thursday was the last night of VBS (except final cleanup which will be some other day). Afterward we packed and picked up the rental car using reserves of adrenaline from that night. This morning we left at 8:15 for our trip to Texas for a presentation on Sunday afternoon. We got a bit of rain and constuction delays around St Louis. We found a Peoria, OK, in the far northeast corner of the Peoria map. An overpass rest stop on I-44 (the Will Rogers Turnpike) claims to be the world's largest McDonalds. We arrived at our hotel in Tulsa at about 6:45 pm. I have not been to Tulsa for some 22 years. I don't recall too much about the family trip and this city. I do recall that my father got pulled over by a pretty zealous cop 22 years ago and given a speeding ticket. Oddly, Karen got pulled over and given a warning for going a mere 7 mph over on the interstate as we were approaching the city! Of course we stoppped by the oil man statue, see:http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/2190! Tomorrow we head to Texas. The predicted high for Denton on Sunday and Monday: 101 F. (Hello AC and swimming pools!)

No comments: