Saturday, June 11, 2011

Free Fishing Weekend (updated Sunday)






























Karen was up in Chicago with friends to celebrate a major birthday, so the kids and I availed ourselves of the annual statewide feed-worms-to-the-fish-hooks event. Katie and I went to the pond in Glen Oak Park Friday night (her first time; Kris was at a birthday party). Saturday Kris, Katie, and I tried fishing from a bridge over Kickapoo Creek. I found that: 1) I still am terrible at fishing and 2) I have less patience for the sport than either of the girls, but at least the fish stealing the worms off our hooks keeps it interesting. On Sunday we finally found a spot with really dumb and hungry fish: bluegills at a pond in Jubilee College State Park. I snagged one just seconds after the first cast hit the water. Katie caught one, and Kris got three. The biggest was over 6 inches long and we let all five of them all go. In other news, the weather has turned cooler and dryer, and we are progressing slowly with packing.

No comments: