Saturday, June 13, 2009

Saturday items

Karen and I watched "Benjamin Button" last night - it was OK. This morning there was a hazardous waste collection in East Peoria and I dropped some stuff off. Seeing the people working in the yellow hazmat suits reminded me of the time about 20 years ago my college chemistry club helped collect and organize items at the Brown County Fairgrounds near Green Bay, WI. The people working this event were all associated with a particular company and had no need for volunteers. The event was held at the building where East Peoria stores some of the floats for their famous Festival of Lights parade each November. This small float looks like it has been retired to a field behind the building.

Our firewood supply got so low last winter that I finally bought half a face cord today. I hope to add more from other sources.

Tonight St. Anthony's celebrated its 40th anniversary. Bishop Daniel Jenky presided over Mass, and there was a dinner to celebrate afterward. I think he sort of looks like Santa Claus.

No comments: