Saturday, August 22, 2009

Rock Show and Pentagon Memorial





The annual Peoria rock and fossil show is this weekend. I spent most of my $ on fossil mammal teeth, but I also donated some of my plant fossils to the show for their silent auction - not that I expected it earned much. There was a replica of the head of the T-Rex "Sue", which we saw at the Field Museum years ago.
To wrap up the Washington DC trip story, after we went to Arlington Cemetery we found our way to the Pentagon 9/11 memorial (opened not too long ago on 9-11-08). It was interesting and complex– the positioning of the individual metal objects represents the age of the victims and whether they were in the plane or on the ground. The trees are pretty young right now. It was also interesting describing some of our memories of that day to Kris, who was too little to remember. The three-pronged monument is the Air Force memorial. After this stop, we traveled on to Virginia Beach, which I have already described in a previous blog. We played the license plate game on this trip, seeing plates from 38 states (and DC) and 4 Canadian provinces. We think that was a pretty good run.

No comments: