Sunday, September 30, 2012

A hike in the woods



This busy September is drawing to a close, and we are settling in.  Kristine's soccer season ended, Katie got a good behavior kudo at school, Karen's student teaching seems to have had its smoothest week yet, and I finished off a small grant proposal.  None of the craziness of teaching/attending Sunday school this weekend, either.  The weather has been nice, too.  Yesterday morning I retrived sizable branches from the woods behind my house and cut them up.  Today, the family went to the Forest Park Nature Preserve to hike.  I picked a 2.5 mile round trip hike that I did back in May, 2008.  The trail climbs up and down the bluffs along the Illinois River and was a little tougher than I remembered (but I am pretty out of shape).  We found one of those huge puffballs - intact, it would have been about the size of a volleyball.  It was the first hike we have done since June or July, and it was pretty. I also include a pic of deer and redbud blossoms from that May, 2008, hike, because I like it. 

No comments: