Monday, February 1, 2010

Jet lag continues...

The battle with jet lag continues with Karen taking the hardest hits, I think. All of us are playing catch up with our lives which adds to the frustration. On the plus side, Karen and Katie had visitors today, another adoptive family we know. The other pic is of Katie imitating me using a tape measure to hang a couple posters. The big poster has some interesting back story. I got it as a freebie from a musuem at the University of Washington during my Seattle sabbatical in 2005. It is called "The Elegance of Embroidery" and features an embroidered Chinese jacket that is over 100 years old. I got it because I thought it looked interesting and we hung it the guest bedroom because that is where we had room and that is where Karen kept her embroidery/craft stuff. When we then started the adoption process in 2006, the Chinese jacket served as a minor reminder of the world we were trying to connect with. When it came time to paint the room to turn it into Katie's bedroom the poster came down for a while. A couple days ago I opened up the poster to think about rehanging it and I had one of those hair-stand-up moments: the jacket was filled with embroidered butterflies. The butterfly is a popular embroidery motif for the Miao people, hearkening back to an ancient belief that their creator/ancestor was a butterfly. With a strong possibility of Katie having Maio ancestry this poster took on even more levels of meaning and definitely needed to be rehung.

No comments: