Saturday, July 30, 2011

Dean to Austin























































































Today was my turn to travel to Austin. Unfortunately I had to saw goodbye to Karen and the girls for now. I flew to Chicago, then to Austin. The trip was fairly uneventful, though we hit some turbulence crossing through the cloud deck as we approached Austin. Tropical Storm Don passed way to the south and was a non-issue; in fact, some people really wanted the rain in Austin with something like over 40 days in the triple digits and a ten-inch rain deficit. I have posted pix from the flights, including those of the air guard base and the Alpha Park area in Bartonville, the Abraham Lincoln Bridge where I-39 crosses the Illinois River, Fermilab, and the Dallas/Ft. Worth Airport. In Austin, I am driving a little Chevy Aveo for the next couple days. On Monday I will move into our apartment, but I took a look at the outside (ground floor) this evening as I explored the area. Found lots of useful stores and restaurants. Gas is about $3.57/gallon. The way the roads are laid out and labeled will take some getting used to. Big Texas Longhorns following here - picture Green Bay or any big college town, only the team color is sort of a burnt orange. I drove downtown this evening to see the area and to try to see the bats at the Congress Avenue Bridge, but I got there too late. Ah well, there should be other opportunities.

No comments: