Sunday, October 9, 2011

Family Fossil Fun Day

















With the rain continuing on and off last night we totaled about 2 inches total in Austin. Counties to the west got more. I find it interesting that the live portion of this tree near our apartment was the part that broke off. The Texas Memorial Museum (Texas Natural Science Center) reopened after renovations with a Family Fossil Fun Day. Kris and I went and got some fossils ID'd. Some pieces that had a fibrous exterior and a spongy interior and looked a lot like bone to me were ID'd as a bivalves (clams) called rudists. Looking at the plesiosaurs and rudists on display I still cannot tell the difference up close - ah well live and learn. Another fossil was tentatively ID'd as a piece of fish bone. After poking around the museum I had to go to a lecture on campus so I dragged poor Kris along but she managed. It was interesting walking around on a cooler and wetter campus this evening. Last pic shows lots of grackles bedding down for the evening.

No comments: